All of the nifty features Iíve been using on the developer channel of Chrome OS are now available to the risk averse: Google updated the Chrome OS Beta channel. Hereís why it makes the experience better.

Even though I need my Chromebook Pixel for work, I still risk living on the bleeding edge. Instead of running the most stable version of Chrome OS, I took the plunge a few weeks ago to install the Chrome developer channel. Thatís cutting edge, particularly for a work computer. Now Chrome OS device owners can enjoy the same new features but with some added stability: Google updated the Chrome OS Beta channel on Tuesday.

google-chrome-logo1That means most, if not all, of the nifty new features Iíve been using lately can be had without worrying too much about system crashes and glitches. To be honest, I havenít seen too many on the dev channel, but beta is surely a safer place to be. So whatís new in Chrome OS 28.0.1500.20 (Platform version: 4100.17.0)

Immersive mode is one of my favorite new additions. Think of it as a full-screen mode thatís even better than the standard full-screen feature. In immersive mode, everything above a web pageís content is pushed off the top the screen; like an auto-hide feature for the URL bar, bookmarks, etcÖ.

The Chrome OS launcher also autohides on the bottom of the display. The end result: You get a a true full-screen mode and gain a bit of working screen space. (Note: On the dev channel, I had to enable the feature in chrome://flags; you may need to do the same in beta.)
More at Gigaom...

--jeremy