See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Considering a purchase of the ACER C7 chromebook

I'd be interested in hearing from current users of the netbook and both positive and negative comments.

I will be using it to surf the web, watch hulu (hopefully not hulu plus), hopefully netflix, and check my email online.

I don't do much else with the computer so I don't need a lot of power and quite frankly if I don't have internet access I don't really need a computer as everything is online now.

Thanks in advance folks!

root

Device(s)
    Samsung Chromebook
    Hopefully a member with an ACER C7 chromebook will respond soon, but we recently acquired a Samsung Chromebook and are quite happy with it. While the two devices are similar in that they're both newer devices with software developer mode, the Samsung Chromebook is ARM-based and has an SSD while the ACER C7 is Intel Celeron-based or AMD Phenom-based and has a spinning disk. See http://www.chromeosquestions.org/thr...omebook-Review for more information on our device and keep us posted with whatever device you move forward with.

--jeremy

Mine arrives tomorrow - I'll be able to provide feedback then. But my initial impressions (after a lot of research, forum-hopping, and reading) is that the Samsung and Acer appeal to two different types of users.

I haven't used a Samsung, but understand that they're very elegant and work well; the ARM processor is well-adapted to ChromeOS duty, and the 16GB SSD is large enough for that and limited local storage. I almost got one, based on the positive reviews I kept reading.

The Acer, on the other hand, is not as slick and to look at the specs looks almost like a cheap conventional laptop. It has an X86 Celeron and a spinning laptop HDD. It might be viewed as just a bit clunky by comparison.

But I wanted to do more than just use it as a Chromebook. In my daily round I'm not always in range of WiFi, so I wanted a strong local capability and a regular OS & apps in addition to the full Chrome experience. I also do regular office work on my portable machine, and use Ubuntu and LibreOffice at work. The obvious answer to that is to install Chrubuntu, and the Acer has enough storage room to run Ubuntu comfortably. It also uses an X86 processor, so apps like LibreOffice will run on the Ubuntu side - unlike under ARM.

I also wanted the fun of doing it - kind of like I enjoyed making a Hackintosh several years ago. In the end, my Dell Mini Hackintosh turned out to be very useful, and I carried it constantly for a couple of years - so it was not only fun but productive. I'm hoping for the same experience with the Acer C7/Chrubuntu mashup.

Added to the above, the more conventional components in the C7's build mean that I can upgrade easily - from HDD to SSD when they get a little cheaper, for instance; or increase the RAM, or replace the battery. I think those practical considerations will add to its useful life.

Will post more after I've taken delivery and tried out a few things. Fun on the way!

2 members found this post helpful.

So Far, Very Good

Quote Originally Posted by robertt202 View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing from current users of the netbook and both positive and negative comments.

I will be using it to surf the web, watch hulu (hopefully not hulu plus), hopefully netflix, and check my email online.

I don't do much else with the computer so I don't need a lot of power and quite frankly if I don't have internet access I don't really need a computer as everything is online now.

Thanks in advance folks!
    Here's a quote from my Amazon review - it covers my experience to date (a little over a week):

*The OS: Am learning more all the time, but have found it to be very useful once I resigned myself to using mainly Google Docs, which I had resisted up to now. It was a good thing to learn, because my misconceptions about its limits proved to be pretty much unfounded. Part of this machine's role will be as a travel laptop that will need to access company documents sometimes, and I now know that - while I might not be doing heavy editing or writing a new SMS manual in Google Docs - it will work for what I do need it to do. I also like the speed of the OS, both starting up and on the web.

The more I learn about ChromeOS, the better I'm liking it. There is a learning curve, but it's pretty easy. There is also a fun factor. I look forward to continuing updates and improvements, which will come to the machine in free, effortless updates - nothing to keep track of. Freedom from malware is huge, too. Given what I intend to use it for, thumbs-up on the OS.

*The Hardware: I had tempered my expectations for the Acer, based on its low price - I told myself not to expect too much refinement. But it's quite nice, really, if a little plain-vanilla looking; I've ordered a skin to jazz it up a bit. Quality seems good, fit & finish are fine, it's solid, I even like the keyboard. The screen is good, and bright enough for outdoor use - I sit and work on the porch at home a lot. Battery life is as advertised - about 6 hours. So no complaints about the hardware.

One reason I wanted the Acer instead of the Samsung is that I thought I might put ChrUbuntu on it, for the full OS and apps - and the Acer, with its 320GB HDD, has ample room for the extra OS. It also uses an X86 processor, so it will run standard apps like LibreOffice - unlike the ARM-based Chromebooks. I still might install ChrUbuntu, though I want to sound the depths of ChromeOS first. But even if I don't put the full OS on, I think the extra HDD room will come handy, as I'd like to keep large DrobBox and Google Drive folders on the laptop for off-line access.

Another thing I like about the Acer's construction is that HDD, memory and battery are replaceable or upgradeable. I like the idea that when SSDs get cheaper, for example, I could swap one in for a performance increase.

Hope that helps - I'll continue using and learning, may update with more info later. Good luck!

To robertt202:
    I purposely bought the ACER since it has both a WiFi network cards & a standard external network cable port.

Since I mainly use it to write with and create Spreadsheets in Google Drive I cannot attest to its functionality watching video streams.

I love it.
    I am fine with Google Drive and I use more cloud applications (especially Evernote).
    Its USB and memory card access are well implemented.
    Basically it's the most elegant terminal I have ever owned.

for anyone with the same question who checks this thread

I also have the Acer- wonderful machine. One draw back is printing. If you already have cloud ready printer, you will be able to switch to chromebook- if not, you will choose the classic printer, for which you must have it plugged into a pc in order to use it. As an aside- there is a list of compatible printers available, many under $70.00. I used a work around, not really sure it is something I should share. So we will leave that be. Otherwise, The Chromebook is fantastic, Power Wash is your friend. The amount of apps available for free is amazing. I have an Android tablet- the apps on web store are far superior due to the simple fact that do not require access and full control of your programs i.e. able to change your internet settings etc. Andy DP said it best, it is an elegant machine. Additional features: Chromebook Central, excellent source for information. Very easy tutorials , and best of all worry free browsing (always recommended to use private browsing for extra protection.

Ultimately, the best advice I can offer is take a test drive. If you think it fits- perfect. If not, try other Linux products before you buy!

Good luck to you!

Last edited by xfool; 10-13-2013 at 04:49 AM. Reason: out of date

Device(s)
    Acer C710
    I just bought an Acer C710, and like it very much. One question I have, though concerns printers. All the references refer to a "LIST" of printers that will work with Chromebooks, BUT I cannot find that list. If you know where I can find it, please let me know. I suspect others have the same question. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ktree325 View Post
    I just bought an Acer C710, and like it very much. One question I have, though concerns printers. All the references refer to a "LIST" of printers that will work with Chromebooks, BUT I cannot find that list. If you know where I can find it, please let me know. I suspect others have the same question. Thanks
    Greetings- this was the link that the forum supplied to me- depending on how much you print ( I don't that often) the epson is great and cheap- under 70. http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/printers.html- hope it works for you, I may have others, if this not what you need-

Have wonderful holidays,

Tasha

1 members found this post helpful.

I purchased my Acer C7 at WalMart for $199.00 and it's perfect for my use case. I don't do cloud stuff but I wanted a small inexpensive netbook. My C7 came with a 16G SSD and I inserted a 16G HDSD card for off line use. It's quiet with no moving parts, lasts for most of the day, and travels in my motorcycle saddlebag or on the passenger car seat. I installed Crouton so I have a full Ubuntu distro with xfce4 just a hot key away. It runs in a chroot simultaneously with ChromeOS so it's always available. Much better than dual booting. This is my 76th computer so I have a good deal of past experience and I

1 members found this post helpful.

Device(s)
    Acer C710
    Quote Originally Posted by robertt202 View Post
    I just picked up a C710 Chromebook last week, and so far it has been a capable little web browsing machine. I haven't tried Netflix ot Hulu, but I may try them over the weekend. I'm playing with developer mode, and will try to install a full-fledged Linux on it soon. So far so good!