I recently enabled developer mode on my Chromebook 14. I successfully downloaded Crouton, and then Ubuntu. I was able to switch back and forth between Chrome OS and Ubuntu just fine. However, after logging out of Ubuntu, and restarting my Chromebook 14, I wasn't able to log back into Ubuntu. I just get the black Linux screen that shows ¨Developer Console¨ at the top. It required a ¨localhost login.¨ I tried typing in ¨root,¨ but now it asks for the ¨localhost #~.¨

1.Is this familiar to anyone? If so, what can I do to get me back to the main Ubuntu desktop? It was originally the ¨unity¨ desktop, by the way.

2. Usage in Ubuntu: I recall having a hard time running a program (Firefox, for example) once it was in the download folder. I downloaded it as the browser, but couldn't find out how to run it after it was downloaded, for the life of me.

3. Downloading and Running programs in Ubuntu: I do plan to begin web development, and I plan to download: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Git, Heroku, to name a few. Do you have a recommended link that will help me learn how to not only download programs, but run them once they're downloaded?