See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

root

Device(s)
    Samsung Chromebook

What's the difference between Chromium OS and Google Chrome OS?

From https://sites.google.com/a/chromium....romium-os-faq:

Google Chrome OS is to Chromium OS what Google Chrome browser is to Chromium.
    • Chromium OS is the open source project, used primarily by developers, with code that is available for anyone to checkout, modify, and build.
    • Google Chrome OS is the Google product that OEMs ship on Chromebooks for general consumer use.

Some specific differences:
    • The two projects fundamentally share the same code base, but Google Chrome OS has some additional firmware features, including verified boot and easy recovery, which require corresponding hardware changes and thus also don't work in Chromium OS builds.
    • Google Chrome OS runs on specially optimized hardware in order to get enhanced performance and security.
    • Chromium OS does not auto-update (so that changes you may have made to the code are not blown away), whereas Google Chrome OS seamlessly auto-updates so that users have the latest and greatest features and fixes.
    • Google Chrome OS is supported by Google and its partners; Chromium OS is supported by the open source community.
    • Google Chrome OS includes some binary packages which are not allowed to be included in the Chromium OS project. A non-exhaustive list:
      Adobe Flash
      PDF plugin
      Netflix Instant
      Google Talk (Work is on going to migrate to WebRTC so no plugins will be required)
      3G Cellular support (but work is on going to address this)
      Older versions of Chrome OS might contain proprietary Synaptic Touchpad Drivers
      All recent releases (R20+) should be using the open source CMT driver
      NB: open source drivers have long existed and are automatically used in Chromium OS
    • Google Chrome OS has a green/yellow/red logo while Chromium OS has a blue/bluer/bluest logo.
    --jeremy

Hi jeremy,
    Could you or a designate post something about the Computer OS (Linux*,Chrome OS and Windows**) requirements as they are used with respect to minimum ram and wired vs wireless connections as to how they effect speed and stability in a tabular/ and or general statement form?
    In the near past, i have found that using Chrome in a windows XP or Linux lightweight distro may cause stability and loss of speed of Google Chrome responsiveness. I think a have a pretty good idea of why this is so, but there seems to be a reluctance to come out and define the problem.
    If anyone can answer the above question, you can.
    I have read replies to similar questions of this type. They are usually answered by saying something to the effect: "Just download the *******browser and try it". They rarely address the problems of removing a browser from the Computer OS and it negative effects. Maybe you can address this area of interest?
    Google Chrome, (not Chromium) is by far the best browser out there for me.

* Linux has a listing of what they call lightweight distro's. The lightweight definition I am defining are those distros made for old computers which have a small amount of ram available. A small amount of ram would mean that it could run Chrome and still allow a reasonable response under a heavy load (no more than two tabs opened with one currently running Youtube?) and not crash the browser/computer OS.

** Windows other than XP should be able to handle Chrome?
    Thank You,
    Bob

root

Original Poster

Device(s)
    Samsung Chromebook
    While the system requirements for Chrome is 512 MB. A reasonably used instance will easily consume 1 GB by itself (and that's not counting anything else you're running, or the OS).

--jeremy

1 members found this post helpful.

I would imagine that google chrome is non opensource and the chromium is Opensourced I am not sure of this .
    for myself I really don't like the idea of Google having access to my info which is why I try to stay away from google .

is the Chrome OS Linux based but also Internet based and if it is Internet based OS then isn't it not really that secure because anything on the Net isn't secure?

Also if it is Linux based then is it possible to take that chrome boot and install a type of customized linux that isn't fully or so dependent on the internet but instead just having a NAS or something similar to store your files on?