root

Device(s)
    Samsung Chromebook

Meet the Asus Chromebox, a $179 fanless mini-desktop

Google's Chrome OS continues to show up on more and more devices, and while the majority of them are laptops, it looks like desktop users are going to have quite a few options as well. Joining LG's upcoming Chromebase all-in-one is the Asus Chromebox, a headless mini-PC that goes on sale in March for $179. At 4.88" by 4.88" by 1.65", it's similar to but slightly larger than Intel's more versatile NUC desktop in every dimension.

Despite its desktop-shaped package, the Chromebox is the same on the inside as many recent Intel Chromebooks, including the Acer C720. The base model includes a 1.4GHz dual-core Celeron 2955U based on Intel's Haswell architecture, integrated Intel graphics, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of solid-state storage, dual-band 802.11n with Bluetooth 4.0, and an SD card reader and Kensington lock slot. AnandTech reports that the Chromebox will also be available in higher-end variants with a 1.7GHz Core i3-4010U and a 2.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) Core i7-4600U and up to 4GB of RAM across its two DIMM slots. The Core i7 version apparently won't be available on American shores, though.
    More at Ars...

Does this Chromebox, which includes most of the features of Samsung's $329 Chromebox but at a lower price, appeal to any CQ members?

--jeremy

This appeals to me, due to my physical handicap I find desktops easier to manipulate. A true physical keyboard is always a plus in my world. In fact my cell is still an ancient Blackberry Curve with a physical keyboard.

Asus seems willing to produce non-standard computing devices, including a laptop with Ubuntu. I have not purchased this but perhaps (if it lasts) it is a good solution for my needs.

At my work, I spend a good deal of time teaching my clients how to use the newer versions of MS Windows. They are not thrilled, but they don't seem to have the inclination to leave the big two in New York City (Apple or Windows).