LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2001, 10:32 AM   #1
fenris@bu
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy

I'm going to be putting up a router soon (trying to screw my cable company, cuz there screwing me with the 1 IP addy thing, cuz I have 4 machines. ) The machine I'm gonna use is a p166, with 64 mB ram, what distro do you guys reccomend. It has to be stable..cuz I plan on setting this thing up, then putting it in the basement...and never touching it again.

Rich

Old 05-29-2001, 04:23 PM   #2
ugge

Distribution: OpenSUSE 10.3

Rep: Reputation: 45
Try this one floppy router/firewall/dhcp/....
http://www.freesco.org

Old 05-30-2001, 02:38 PM   #3
ZipLed
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
Freesco is good distro, but currently i'm using Coyote. You can find it here http://www.coyotelinux.com/ .

Old 05-30-2001, 07:50 PM   #4
epic

Distribution: Gentoo Linux 1.3b

Thumbs up Which is better?

I want to establish my router,I have a ISDN card,and both of them can work with it.Would some guy tell me how to do it?

Old 06-01-2001, 06:35 AM   #5
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Linux Router Project (try a google search) looks interesting with links to lots of documentation. <...epic>

I use SuSE and do a default DMZ install and add openssh, iptraf, tcpdump, dhcpd, dhcpcd, bind8, kernel source (i think SuSEfirewall too). I liked it so much I just barfed an image to my server so I can just stuff it to a new platter and setup the NICs and go, go, go. A new firewall in 30 minutes. Works 4 modem setups too. I know that a distro install is overkill but it's the easiest way to get good logging/alerts/forensics.

7.1 is good but requires some TLC if you want to use 2.4.2 as the CONFIG_IPCHAINS_COMPAT (experimental) needs to be added to the kernel. 2.4.2 is made for stateful (so they say anyway) inspection with iptables, but the security has been questioned and I'm only recently cumfy with ipchains. The ipchains (SuSEfirewall scripts) is prety well matured by now.

Have done this on P133/66 to P866/133 (just for giggles). I overclocked the PCI bus from 66 to 83 MHz on an ASUS TX97XE w/P166MMX and liked it so much I kept it. (made CPU multipliers to clock CPU at rated MHz). Don't overclock the CPU. Bad. Too much heat for a box that's just gonna live in the closet. Big-*ss heatsink and a CLOSED cabinet with decent airflow pattern.

Bus speed and NIC selection make the difference. Two DLinks vs. Two old Tulips vs. two 3c905s.The 3Com's were a huge improvement when set to full M-II mode.

Old 06-03-2001, 10:06 AM   #6
tyler_durden

linux mandrake just came out with a new single network version that is designed to be a router/firewall. you can check it out here http://www.mandrakesoft.com/company/...r/products/922

i havn't tried it yet but i am tempted to replace my freesco router with it.