LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2000, 01:10 PM   #1
surfman
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Angry

I continue to get the error message that "INIT: ID "X" is respawning to fast disabled for 5 minutes" I have a 14 inch monitor running redhat and it appeard to be configured properly in Xconfigurator.

Old 11-29-2000, 03:15 PM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080
This could be caused by a few different things. Are you running gdm? If so try booting to init 3 (as opposed to 5) and deleting any stale pid/lock files. The Gnome that shipped with Red Hat 6.x does not clean up after itself after a "improper" shutdown. You may also want to check to make sure you have some free disk space.

Old 04-21-2002, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivaman
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy GDM Error!!!!!!!!!

:smash: For all u guru Linux users.......because of my job I have been forced to become familiar with Linux. I attempted to install Linix 7 on one of my test laptops and play around for a while but after installing it and the machine rebooted I got this error:

According to /var/run/gdm.pid, gmd was already running (1021) but seems to have been murdered mysteriously.

Someone please tell me how I can get around this I attempted to stop the services for gdm since it said it was already running. That didn't work. I also stopped services on the lockfile also.....unsuccessful there too.