LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2001, 02:38 AM   #1
futard
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
partitioning troubles

I've been trying to install red hat linux 7.1 (from CD-ROM made from downloaded disc images from ftp.redhat.com) to dual boot with windows 2000 and am having some trouble. When i get to the partition section it says that i cannot do automatic partition because there is not enough space. When i go into the partitioning thing (sorry if i sound like an idiot... the one that is not fdisk is what i mean) and it says that i have 0MB of free space on both of my ide hard drives. What is going on here? They are both recently defragged (as in yesterday) and containing ample space. One is a 20 gig drive with about 6.6 gigs free and the other a 40 gig drive with something like 26 gigs free. Does anyone know what my problem here is?

Old 06-16-2001, 04:49 AM   #2
acid_kewpie

Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos

Rep: Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985
oh good grief!

Unless i'm missing the point completely, you've not partitioned your drive at all. Simply havign free space under windoze is totally different. you need to split you 100% partition into two (at least) parts. I personally used Mandrake 7.2 to partition my drive properly, and then rebooted and installed rh71, which is very dumb.. but it works cool. Alternatively, (download and )use fips, under windoze. I also had some success using a program cleverly called 'Partition Resizer'. rh71 will create its own partitions within the free space, so all you should need to do is to reduce the windows partition.

Remember that with large drives you may have problems with the first partition being too large, making the second (i.e. linux) unreachable. Only a problem with older bioses. (i think)

honkey donkey

Chris
xxxx