LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2000, 05:12 PM   #1
sscharbo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Help!!! I am a very new linux user, I have a windows 98 machine that dials into the ISP, and LInux on a seperate machine, they are connected with 2 10/100 base T ethernet cards and a netgear hub, Now my question, I can surf with no problem on linux, with use of a proxy with netscape, but I am tring to get LICQ to run and it will not see the server, Is there a program that will run on Win98 they will let linux access the internet with out proxy settings???? Please help, Wanna play with linux, wife won't let me play on win98 *LOL*

Scott

Old 11-28-2000, 05:51 AM   #2
Glenn
LQ Newbie

Cool

well .. the best sulution i can think of is to use the linux to dail upp .. and the win95 to .. well.. surf and anny thing you want .. thru the linux ..

It's shure posible to make it work the whay you are using it now ... but with the linux as dail up server .. and masqurading router .. it will be mutch better ...

the linux will auto dail upp and be almost comlpletly transparant for the win95 .. as fast as the win95 trying to connect the internet ..and you .. you will be able to play and use al the kind of serveces you want withoute trouble with proxys and stuff ...

Well only a suggetstion .. the are probably better ways to do it to .. but this works fine for me on several places and aint to hard to configure .

Old 11-28-2000, 08:44 PM   #3
adityaanand
LQ Newbie

Wink

ok..... doing this is very easy if you have win98 second edition, or NT or 2000.

Basically you need to break the task in two halves... configuring the host (Windows) and configuring the Client

there are many articles that tell you how to set up ICW on windows... you an find one at this address...

http://216.167.71.32/techfiles/ics-troubleshooting.html

or just search Internet Connection Sharing on google or u'r fav. search engine. follow the instructions relting to the host.... they are a lot so i'm not listing them here.

now comes the linux part.... pretty easy as i do it in mandrake... but other config utilities should work just fine.....

your goal is to go to network config, empty the IP addres and subnet mask fields, choose to use DHCP and for the getting IP address....

this is all i did.... i use Mandrake and netconf from the config menu.... to set this up.... also do not forget to diable dns and all other stuff....

i'm sorry even i am a newbie... but this is how i got it working poking around....

hop[e this helps

cheers
adi

Old 11-28-2000, 11:21 PM   #4
bickford

Rep: Reputation: 15
Honestly, you should probably do it the other way around like it was stated in another post. Windows98 was never intended to be a server, heck, it can barely handle being a desktop OS! =) There's a TON of documentation on the internet for setting up Linux is a router/proxy server. To get ya started here's a few links:

PMFirewall:
http://www.pmfirewall.com/

The Linux Router Project:
http://www.linuxrouter.org/

The April 2000 issue of Linux Journal has a feature section on networking including an article on "The Linux Home Network" and an article on "Setting Up a Linux Gateway". You probably want to get a copy.

Old 11-29-2000, 10:22 AM   #5
adityaanand
LQ Newbie

hey, i use win98 because of 3 resons.... one i use netzero... so i donot 'pay' for acessing the net.... second, my modem is not compatible with linux, and i'm not going to og out and buy a modem especially when i don't need one... thir'd and the most imortant one... the VPN s/w used by my company is Win32 Fat so if i need to aceess stuff at work i'll need to log in using windows any way so it doesnot make sence to have Linux as a server... though i'd like to have it.... and also since i'm doing most of my work on linux now, windows does'not crash anymore

i think if someone is reading this there still exist some reasons why win32 needs to be the gateway (althugh linux is a better choice in a lot of other cases) but if you have little experience in linux network configuration, it would be worth it to write a How-To on using Windows as a Gateway and configuring linux ot be a client.

Cheers
adi

Old 11-29-2000, 12:17 PM   #6
sscharbo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Cool thanks.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help, I think I have to use adityaanand's method, I use win98 for the same reason (Work) thank you again everyone. just need one more thing, *whispers* what is the easiest way to change network config on redhat 6.1???

Scott

Old 11-29-2000, 01:16 PM   #7
adityaanand
LQ Newbie

I think you have a control panel in Gnome.... look for networkconf under the configuration menu in gnome.... i use this under mandrake.... since mandrake is based on redhat...basically open the system menu in what ever environment u'r using and search for system configuration i'm sure trere will be a network config under there some where.... well that is all a newbie like me would hope for!

Old 06-11-2001, 02:34 PM   #8
deepz74
LQ Newbie

Red face Linux to Win 98 networking...

Hey,
I'm trying to do something similar to Adi...trying to surf from Linux thru Windows 98 ISP...but i don't know how to configure this...Can someone help me...step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated...as i'm new to Linux world...
My config...
RedHat Linux 7.x
10BaseT EtherPCILAN card
Windows 98 running the ISP

Thanks,
Pradeep

Quote:
Originally posted by adityaanand
hey, i use win98 because of 3 resons.... one i use netzero... so i donot 'pay' for acessing the net.... second, my modem is not compatible with linux, and i'm not going to og out and buy a modem especially when i don't need one... thir'd and the most imortant one... the VPN s/w used by my company is Win32 Fat so if i need to aceess stuff at work i'll need to log in using windows any way so it doesnot make sence to have Linux as a server... though i'd like to have it.... and also since i'm doing most of my work on linux now, windows does'not crash anymore

i think if someone is reading this there still exist some reasons why win32 needs to be the gateway (althugh linux is a better choice in a lot of other cases) but if you have little experience in linux network configuration, it would be worth it to write a How-To on using Windows as a Gateway and configuring linux ot be a client.

Cheers
adi

Old 06-12-2001, 09:10 PM   #9
jago25_98

Rep: Reputation: 30
Cool Aiming for your setup

Great, I'm trying to setup my net connection like yours;

- my brothers` machine dialing in with Windoze, acting as a gateway (192.168.0.1)

- & linux surfing though the gateway`ed win machine,

very simple got it 2 work before, but no longer...?!

Can ping all IP's on the LAN but nothing more.

If any1 else is looking to do this or help out plse feel free 2 get in contact direct - jago25_98@hotmail.com
, I'll let you know how 2 do it if I find out.

Old 06-12-2001, 09:17 PM   #10
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Re: Aiming for your setup

Quote:
Originally posted by jago25_98
Great, I'm trying to setup my net connection like yours;

- my brothers` machine dialing in with Windoze, acting as a gateway (192.168.0.1)

- & linux surfing though the gateway`ed win machine,

very simple got it 2 work before, but no longer...?!

Can ping all IP's on the LAN but nothing more.

If any1 else is looking to do this or help out plse feel free 2 get in contact direct - jago25_98@hotmail.com
, I'll let you know how 2 do it if I find out.
Using a windows box as the gateway???