LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2001, 11:05 PM   #1
patjones
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Just got Mandrdake 8.0 loaded yesterday, and after trying 7.2 last year and failing miserably, this new version is far and away the biggest improvement in Linux I've seen. All my hardware was recognized and now I can finally get into this thing and learn something.

Problem. When I boot up, the first thing to land on my desktop is an open File Manager window. At first, I think it was Konqueror. Now, a Gnome File manager has taken its place. I've done a lot of fiddling around with the KDE desktop and this is probably my doing, but now that I'm looking to fix it I can't find a setting to simply make the File Manager not open up at all. When I boot up, I don't want any open windows to show.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-18-2001, 01:50 PM   #2
GonzoJohn

Distribution: RedHat and Debian

Rep: Reputation: 15
Save your session.

When you login, close all the windows that might open and then save your session. Under GNOME, go to the main menu on the GNOME panel (taskbar) and go to the Settings item. Then select Save Session from the Settings menu. Next time you log into GNOME, these session settings will apply.

Under KDE, you need to open the Session Manager from the main menu. Find it by accessing the menus as follows: Main->Settings->System->Session Manager

The instructions are fairly self-explanatory here.

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2001, 10:14 PM   #3
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora / RedHat / SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 58
Automount

If you have removable disk of somekind, and you are using automount it will pop up. What dir is it opening too? If it is your home folder then it is just your saved session.