LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2001, 11:33 PM   #1
dustntime
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Talking

I have slackware and kde installed. Also i have a cdrom and a cd-r. How can i configure my cd-recorder(at least as a cdrom). When i installed linux, my cd rom was installed and with a shortcut iun the desktop but i donīt know how to install and use my cd-r.

Thanx

Old 01-12-2001, 10:54 AM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Smile Manually mount....

Most likely it has been installed or detected, you just have to manually mount the cd. IS it setup as a slave or master on the second or first IDE?
I know that usually within KDE, I have a LS-120 Floppy but the icon won't work. I mount it manually by doing

mount /dev/hdb

since it is set on the first IDE as a slave but emulated as a floppy. Depending on how you have it connected, wuld be how you mount it. Check this with your fstab file. You can edit it so it mounts it or not everytime you boot. I think all of this should be right. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.
I also have a second cd-rw, but haven't played with it wihin linux yet. I will let you know how I mount mine and how it is setup once I get access to it.

Good luck,

Drew

Old 01-12-2001, 11:31 PM   #3
ssadams

Distribution: slackware 7.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
slackware doesn't set mount points for your cdroms or floppy
when you install it.You have to do it yourself.Call up /etc/fstab in a text editor and add these lines

/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 noauto,user 0 0
/dev/cdrom2 /cdrom2 iso9660 noauto,user 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy auto noauto,user 0 0

now in a terminal as root do these
cd /
mkdir /cdrom2 (/cdrom is alredy there)
mkdir /floppy
ls -l /dev/cdrom*
it should read
cdrom---->hdc
cdrom2--->hdd
if not then do this ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/hdc
or ln -s /dev/cdrom2 /dev/hdd which ever you need.
now you should be able to mount your drives in /cdrom or /cdrom2 which ever one your using.

For burning....thats a whole other chapter