LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2000, 09:33 AM   #1
mathi

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15

There is a nice article about the new Linux-kernel on linuxworld:

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/news.php3?nid=323&tid=1

Before switching to the new kernel, consider whether you need the new features. Most important for ordinary users is the USB-support and the DVD-filesystems.

gr

Matthieu

Old 11-13-2000, 12:56 PM   #2
jtshaw

Distribution: Ubuntu @ Home, RHEL @ Work

Rep: Reputation: 67
2.4 Kernel

I have been using the test releases of 2.4.0 at work and they are really nice. My USB keyboard and mouse work very well (only when on the same chain though for some reason). The kernel seams to be stable though I haven't taxed it by any means. I think it is a step up neccesary for people with cutting-edge hardware but probably isn't neccesary for many.

Old 11-16-2000, 08:06 AM   #3
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
Is the 2.4 Kernel faster? I have heard that it does support more features such as USB, but when you recompile the Kernel (I am still trying to work out how!), surely you can leave out the modules you dont need. Wouldn't this give you the same type of kernel as before (assuming you dont use the new features) but with a diferent number?

Please correct me if I am wrong, beacuse I am considering upgrading my Kernel from 2.2.16 to 2.4. Should I? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old 11-16-2000, 08:55 AM   #4
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080
CragStar,
I noticed a marked speed improvment with the new kernel. Netwoking has been greatly improved as has SMP support. Most stock kernels come with a bunch of stuff that you don't need because the distro makers are going for compatability not speed. I made a post a little while ago about the improvments in the 2.4x kernel, you may want to search for it. I would say that if you are thinking of upgrading go for it. You will definately learn something and by the time 2.4x is actually released you will be an expert at upgrading your kernel so you'll be able to upgrade right away Just make sure to keep a copy of your old working kernel around as you may not get everything right the first time.

Old 11-16-2000, 09:12 AM   #5
jtshaw

Distribution: Ubuntu @ Home, RHEL @ Work

Rep: Reputation: 67
Heh, unfortunetly I learned the lesson Jeremy just taught you the hardware...ALWAYS leave a copy of the old kernel around, and for good measure, even update your boot loader so it can run off either the old one or the new one You will have less stress if you follow that advice

Old 11-16-2000, 03:02 PM   #6
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
Cheers!

Cheers, I think that I will upgrade, and of course will let you know if anything goes penguin shaped!